Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Still Waiting, but Working Hard

The last tiny spot of winter snow has finally melted.  We may get more snow, but I swear we will not shovel it, and we will not make Spring 019piles that take longer to melt than the surrounding area.  I think that when the spring finally really comes it will come with a bang, and things will spring to life quickly and there will suddenly be way too much work to do.  I have to figure out a way to do gardening work and clean up quickly for some meeting or another, and come back and do more gardening work.  I think that people will have to accept my dirty fingernails (or I will have to be willing to  not care.)  And my gardening clothes will have to be easy to change in and out of.  Spring work is the dirtiest, it will be easier in Summer.  But, as I said in a post a few weeks ago, now is the time for time to slow down.  I want to relish every moment at this time of year and not pine for the next phase. 

Bill has been tweaking the edge of the new hole that will become the pond.  It is close to level now.  I hope that this weekend we will be able to at least fill it with water and bring out the fish and move the water lily from it's tub to it's new home.  The fish are really ready.  They should have been out a month ago.  Maybe next winter we can leave the outside all winter, and they will be happy to be swimming in unfrozen water at this time a year from now. 

The water lily is suffering in the tub we bought for it.  The first night outside the water froze, at least the top inch or so.  I didn't realize that would happen so quickly.  The rest of this week I've been covering the box and laying on some insulation and the water has remained liquid.  But I noticed that the parrot weed stems that had survived the entire winter were now dead.  And the water has an unpleasant smell to it.  I hope that we are able to keep that plant alive for another few days and that it recovers once installed in the bottom of the new pond.  I've been looking at websites  giving information about dividing and planting lilies.  May have to go out and buy a few laundry baskets to serve as pots, and break down and divide the huge rhizomes.  Hope it goes OK.  Lots of variables going on here. 

Sprouts of many perennials beginning to show. Some of the wildflowers are showing barely.  A day of warm rain would bring things out amazingly, but it is dry for at least another 4 or 5 days. 

No comments: