Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Snow Ducks and Garden Beds

010After getting home following a morning and noon of meetings, today’s major activity was keeping the two Mallard Ducks who have been hanging out around our yard out of our pond and our neighbor’s. 

It is snowing again, with 6 to 10 inches expected before it is all over.  Just when we thought Spring had 009arrived, and just a day before Lee and Lin are due home from Florida, this happens.  I’m sure the ducks are just looking for a place to nest, but I really don’t want it to be in my tiny pond.  There are 40 or 50 small fish in there, having survived over the Winter.  I didn’t keep them alive all winter to provide food for ducks! 

This is the day after I saw a Turkey strut through our yard.  A single turkey, which I think is a rare occurrence, especially at this time of year.  She walked through along the creek, very deliberately, and I haven’t seen her since.  It is the first time we’ve had one in this yard that I am aware of. 

Yesterday I went out and cut a vase full of not quite open daffodils so that we can enjoy then outside.  I fear that there won’t be any more after this heavy snow.  Also cut some forsythia branches, fearing that the shrub outside would also be crushed by the heavy snow.  It will be a bonus if I’m wrong. 

photo (4)Bill got the raised garden beds finished this morning, and in before the snow started.  I won’t get much chance to see what he’s done til all this snow melts though.  Here are the first two, finished last week.  We almost ordered 10 yards of bark mulch yesterday, and now I’m pretty glad we didn’t have it delivered.  No way we’re going to be able to truck it out there for a week or more now.  Spring work is on hold for awhile.

No comments: