Sunday, July 13, 2008

Summer Weekends Too Few

Ah, this is what it's all about. A beautiful weekend in mid summer, the yard looking wonderful, and needing just enough attention to let me have some hours of enjoyable gardening, without needing so much as to require our complete attention the whole weekend.

Summer 016We started at the Downtown Appleton Farmer's Market on Saturday. Picked up some local strawberries and, of course, some spring rolls for breakfast. Then made our way to three sites on the annual Garden Walk (for the Emergency Shelter) by car. Got home by 11 or so, and took to our bikes for the last three gardens, finishing at the Fox Valley Technical College, which we ride around often, but haven't ever taken the time to really see the gardens close up. We were still going strong, so we took off to the Fox River Mall to pick up some niacin and stop for a quick Orange Julius. Summer 008

When we got home, Bill decided that he should begin the installation of another stone wall, this one across the front of what had been the tricorn garden until the blue spruce tree grew so large as to engulf it and change its shape. So now, with the remains of the stones that we bought a year ago for the front garden, he is extending the linear theme of the front yard. He finished Sunday afternoon, and it looks great. We still have 20 stones left to find a home for.

The yard is just so nice right now. I think this is the perfect time.

Summer 011I spent Sunday cutting the flowers that had been blown over, spraying weeds around the yard, and generally "puttering". I clipped the mallow from the back of the Asclepias - Butterfly Weed plant. It is in full bloom now, and I must admit it is my favorite plant. I wait so long and with so much hope to see the tiny sprouts in the spring. And just as I am about to give up hope, it springs back and then grows so strongly into such a robust plant that I can hardly believe I ever doubted.

A small black cat has been flirting with me for the last few days. Just a week after we buried Smoke, this one is appearing from the woods much as he did 15 years ago. Tonight she even let me pick her up, though she would much preferred to keep eating the food I brought out for her. We will need to decide what to do about her.Summer 018

This seems to be the year of the compass plant. Mine is larger and stronger than I have ever seen it, and there are at least two new plants that are looking pretty mature. I gave one away in the spring - I think to Patti. And I've heard that others who grow them have found them to be impressive this year. It's pretty, but a bit agressive, and if it continues to take space like this I may have to find other accommodations for it.

No comments: