Saturday, August 2, 2008

I don't want to count on it, but....

But this year has been amazing with regard to the amount and timing of rain. Just when I start to think it is a little dry, it rains. And rains well. Yesterday I felt gypped. I left for work in the early morning as usual and it was setting up to be a hot and sunny day. At work, I spent the day, as usual, in the dark and moldy basement. I hardly knew what was happening in the real world. People said it was raining, and I could walk out an see that it was. And back in the network services "data center" as I was discussing the latest big project, the power blinked briefly, indicating to me and our network administrator that our investment in UPS devices for our servers was worthwhile. And I did take a look out through the atrium a couple of times, and noted that there was real rain falling. But that is the total awareness I had of the rain.

Then I got home, and it was beautifully sunny and warm and the road and driveway were dry, but I looked at he raingauge in the front yard and found that almost two inches of rain had fallen there. The roadside ditch was full of debris that had been washed out of the culvert. And all of the other rain gauges were showing over an inch - from 1 and 1/2 to over 2 inches, depending on location. I have no certainty of exactly how much fell, but it was enough to be significant, and enough to make all the plants happy for sure. And I didn't see it happen. <sigh>

Blooming for the first time since the last post: Cannas, Summersweet. We had the first tomato from the garden over a week ago, and now they are coming in strong. Gaga's favorite, Jetstar, produced a beautiful, large, ripe specimen for tonight's dinner. Ah..... The peppers are coming on, I have more cucumbers that I know what to do with, broccoli is abundant. The potato plants are beginning to decline a little bit, but it is too soon to dig them up. I'm not sure about the onions this year. They seemed to get blown down early and I hope they are still growing. The raspberries are about done. We had about 10 pints all together over the season I'd estimate. Today at the farmer's market downtown, raspberries were going for $4.50 a pint. I think we paid about 6 or 7 dollars for the plants we have - and we get 40 or 50 dollars worth of fruit a year from them. A good investment.

No comments: