Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Hardening



Things are starting to "harden" into their summer forms now. Funny how fast that happens. One day it seems so vulnerable and malleable, and the next time I look things seem to have taken on a permanent form for the year to come.

But at the same time, I am just discovering the last of the perrennials as they emerge from the winter sleep. And the spring bulbs are still blooming, though many have gone over in the last week.

Leaves are filling out on many of the trees, though the honey locusts are still pretty bare. The Serviceberry is in full bloom, and the apple trees are starting. The Magnolia is beautiful, but the Japanese maples, including Mom's tree, are still not relaxing into leaf spread.







This is the time of a million shades of green. I drove to the Chicago suburbs last weekend to be at Nancy's retirement. I saw what the coming two weeks or so will bring. Her maple tree is in nearly full leaf-spread, while mine is just beginnning. I love this time of potential.

This evening, when I finally got home, I went out to look around. There were two ducks in the front yard - I'll miss the ducks when they finally move on. I hope that I get to see a batch of ducklings this year. The trillium is still in full bloom, and the jack-in-the-pulpits are really taking over the wildflower show this week. I was thrilled to find the first shoots of the butterfly weed Asclepsis tuberosa. This plant is always so late that I almost give up hope. Then it comes back. This seems later than usual, and I really had just about written it off. But today I found at least 20 sprouts from what must be a pretty substantial underground structure. Looking forward to being able to photograph it in full flower, but the link above is to many wonderful shots of this spectacular flower....


Some photos below: The American Chestnut, the "mystery tree, and the Prairie Smoke in full bloom.

No comments: