Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spring in Full Swing

Last weekend the tree swallows returned again to check out the neighbor's birdhouse.  Lee and Lin had taken off the wood block covering the entrance several days ago, and no birds had been anywhere near it for some time.  But Saturday morning, suddenly as I was giving Lin some mallow clumps that I was taking out, four swallows began to fly around the house, occasionally landing on it and looking into the hole.  As soon as one of them began to settle, within seconds an English Sparrow flew in to harass him.  It came out of nowhere with no warning.  go figure.

Spring is really coming on now.  Even the Blazing Star (Liatris sp.) and the joe-pye weed (Eupatorium purpureum) are starting, finally, to sprout.  And as I walked around the yard tonight, I found things coming up that I had forgotten entirely about planting.  A bleeding heart plant that was almost a foot high, joe-pye in a place I thought had been devestated by voles, liatris in several new places. 

On the east side of the house, the ferns and lilies are coming on strong.  I have every intention of killing them off, but may wait until I have my annual plant giveaway to finalize the demolition.  The things I planted last fall are mostly coming back,  I have purchased some clematis and passion flower for the arbors.  Need to have the courage to "just say no." 

The magnolia is beginning to bloom.  Many buds seem to be frost damaged.  May be a sparse year.  But the spring 08 017 front yard is looking very nice.  As I walked around admiring things a ruby throated hummingbird just hummingbirdsort of appeared at one of the pulmanaria plants under the birch trees.  As I stood there, it sipped nectar from pretty much every flower on the plant, and I was able to take many shots.  Then it flew up and landed in one of the birch trees, where I was able to get a shot of it in a still mode.  None turned out spectacular, but it was nice to have a try. 

 

 

spring 08 029 The trilium near the sump pump outflow (my one and only) is blooming, and near it are a few of the many jack-in-the-pulpits that are coming into their own.  I found the small remains of the marsh marigold I planted years ago barely showing along the creek.  I doubt if it will bloom this year, but there is still hope. 

 

spring 08 001

 

 

 

I have some favorite shots of the yard, that I take over and over as the light and the plants change.  The Willow is the subject of many of them.  Just something you gotta love about that tree.  

No comments: