Thursday, May 29, 2008

Waiting for Rain and Warm Weather

It is getting so dry that the grass is going dormant, and burning out in the front near the road. There are cracks in the yard a half an inch wide. The garden beds are hard as a rock, which keeps me from planting. This may be a good thing, since the weather is still so unsettled. It looks like we will have above freezing temps for the next week or so, and that should be the end of the killing frost for this season. But I think I said that a couple of weeks ago.

There is rain supposedly coming tonight, and then clouds and more rain possible for the rest of my vacation. I'll take rain, but it may mean that I can't get the planting done.

I saw the female Oriole today at my grape jelly feeder. I was standing just a few feet away when she swooped down to the gazebo and let out a joyous cry. I turned but didn't move much as she flew over to the feeder and ate for a few minutes, then up to the library honeylocust tree and off again into the woods. I think it is quite possible that we have a nesting pair this year.

Yesterday I missed a chance to catch a shot of the ducklings that have hatched and are swimming up and down in the creek with their mother. There are 7 or 8 of them, and my goodness they grow fast. They will be out of here soon, but for now they are very cute.

No comments: